Friday, January 25, 2013

Let's Talk Squash


The middle of winter has arrived with blistery northern winds and subzero temperatures.   Apparently, 20 degrees was too warm of us here in Michigan. Mother Nature has turned down the thermostat and delivered an old fashion winter.  It has been a while since a true Michigan winter was upon us. Plans for a high tunnel have been postponed. Who wants to be out in 5 degree weather trying to hammer support rods into a frozen snow covered landscape. While I might be in love with winter, I do not LOVE the 5 degrees. I am very grateful for our corn furnace, chugging along keeping us toasty warm. With the cooler weather, my hands have been itching to create warm cozy creations. Quilting and Crocheting are my top choices, although felting is a skill I desire to learn. I have been earnestly working on my hubby to let me get a small flock of sheep. “It would be a great learning experience” has been my line of reasoning. I co-lead a 4H group with two of my children enrolled. When, in fact I just want to learn how to spin wool.  But on to the subject I had already promised. Let's talk squash.
I have to confess that squash is just not inspiring me at this moment. Lol. It might be the months of eating squash and trying to find new ways to cook with it. Stuffed squash, cubed squash, squash with brown sugar and marshmallow, breads, cakes, roasted squash, you name… I probably have cooked it. My Favorite Recipes board on Pinterest is loaded with squash recipes.  But I do have to say I love to grow squash. There are so many varieties out there.  There is summer squash and winter squash (think zucchini vs. pumpkins).  What most people do not know is there are four main squash species. You can grow one of each and not worry about cross pollination. Meaning, you can save seeds from each, and they will grow “true” to seed or produce the same squash again. For someone with limited space this is great news. For those who would like to learn more on the subject, I highly recommend “The Complete Squash” by Amy Goldman.  Squash is part of the Cucurbita family. I will abbreviate with C.
C. Pepo: Think summer squash. They are quick growing. Zucchini and Scallop varieties would be in this group. Although I grow them every year for the market, I love other varieties more. Pick a new zucchini this year, not the standard green or yellow. There are many more in a rainbow of hues.  Think French or Italian.

Fordhook Acorn: Small, tan, and ribbed. These cuties are 1 ½ lbs. with grainy mildly sweet flesh. Great shelf life.  Perfect for stuffing and individual servings.  Introduced in 1890 by Burpee.

Winter Luxury: I was impressed with this little baking pumpkin. Not only was it prolific (with very long reach), but it was covered with a web like netting. Very striking and unique. The flesh is smooth, sweet, and fiber – free. I liked it better than Amish Paste. The only down side is that it is not the best keeper.

Patisson Strie Melange: A French Scallop mix that is striped, warted, and sports many colors. Pick young to eat or let age to use as fall decorations. One of my favorites and receives a lot of attention at the market.

C. Maxima: These come in all shape and sizes. Hubbard, Buttercup, Mammoth and Turban are examples of this species of squash. I always have a hard time in this variety just selecting a few.

Galeux D’Ensines : A French baking pumpkin with gorgeous salmon colored skin covered in tan warts.  A true beauty that has become popular for fall decorations.  One of my favorites.

Guatemalan Blue Banana: This was a trial squash last year and my customers raved about it. The Banana group is noted for their fine table quality. Dark “Blue” with light stripes, thick firm golden flesh.  Can be sliced to bake or roast.

Blue Hubbard: This one comes large or mini. Either way they are unique. “Blue” with warted skin and the shape of what makes a Hubbard stand out. Fine grained yellow sweet flesh. Excellent quality.

C. Moschata: These would be your cheese pumpkins, butternuts, and other necked varieties. They tend to harvest later in my experience, but still well worth the wait.

Musquee De Provence: A cheese pumpkin for the South of France. Shaped like a wheel of cheese ripening from green to burnt sienna. Deep orange flesh is dense and of superb quality.

Seminole: I know I listed this in the previous blog, but it is that good.

Yokohama: The skin of this reminded me of black velvet. While the texture wasn’t there, the color was that amazing. Very flat, ribbed and dark-green with tan skin. Has a dry, fine-grained and sweet flesh. Another trial from last year that did great.

C. Mixta: With a limited seed list, this group has some interesting varieties including Cushaw. I have not ventured into this group much. I will strive to plant at least one new variety this year. Lol. There has also be a name change for this group, although not all the seed catalogs are reflecting it. C. Argyrosperma is the correct species.

Tennessee Sweet Potato: Beautiful pear-shaped fruit with white skin and faint green stripes.  Old descriptions in seed catalogs compare it to a sweet potato, but I think more like a regular potato.
Well, that just about covers the ins and outs for the squash world. All the listed varieties can be found in either the Seed Savors Exchange or Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds websites or catalogs. Thanks for stopping by for a visit.

Until next time,

Christi Kotus

No comments:

Post a Comment